Saturday, January 8, 2011

Conversations with My Father - Pt. 8


Dad:  Lainey, do you put the tops back on bottles when you throw them away?
Me:   Huh?
Dad:  When you throw away your plastic bottles of whatever, do you put the lid back on?
Me:   Um, I might.  I think probably I do.
Dad:  Stop doing that!  I saw something where there are MILES and MILES of floating bottles, MILLIONS of them, in the ocean.  It's just awful.  MILES of them, Lainey.  Covering the surface of the ocean!
Me:  So, that doesn't happen if you leave the lids off?
Dad:  No, then they just sink to the bottom and no one can see them.
Me:  Soooo, your concern is not the pollution of the oceans, it's one of aesthetics?
Dad:  Oh, yes, of course.  I'm sure the ocean floor is covered in trash, but I don't give a shit, because I can't see it.  The floating bottles just look tacky, don't you think?

No comments: