Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lainey Yap

Lagniappe
la·gniappe \ˈlan-ˌyap \

Etymology:
American French, from American Spanish la ñapa the lagniappe, from la + ñapa, yapa, from Quechua yapa something added

: a small gift given a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase ; broadly : something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure; a little something extra :


You guys are my lagniappe.

I started this thing as a distraction. When Michael and I ended our relationship, I didn't know what to do with all of my time. I started spending more time at Pajiba (It's true. Ask the IT guys at work. They can probably tell you exactly how much time I spend at the 'jiba) and eventually dipped my toe in to comment. I had been reading for a while and I trusted that TK, AlabamaPink and socalledonlycousins** wouldn't let anyone rip me up too badly. No one did and slowly, but surely, I got more comfortable posting there.

I started this here fancy blog thing and really didn't expect anyone to read it. I especially never expected anyone to read it with any regularity. It was mostly a place to spew my random babbling. It has become so much more.

I consider you guys my friends. I consider you guys my confidants. I consider you guys my support system.

You're my lagniappe. Thank you.

You're my good thing for No Whining Wednesdays!

I'd also like to highlight a good deed (and there are actually MANY I'd like to draw attention to and I hope to do this every week) from a guy who makes me laugh & also gets me to say, "awwww" from time to time. He doesn't post often enough *cough*, but I figure he's probably pretty busy with training and with running a small zoo out of his home. If you have a moment or two, check out his blog (which, when he updates it *cough* is very entertaining) and read about his bike ride of 700 miles in 7 days! Wait, read that again - SEVEN HUNDRED MILES on a bike! I can't ride 700 miles in a CAR without whining about it! He's riding to raise funds to help folks with hemophilia. 700 miles! On a bike! His blog is called "My Taste in Wine Leans Towards Vodka" and it won't kill you to go read a few words and hopefully donate a few bucks to a very worthy cause.

Ok, so what do you guys have going on? Big plans for No Whining Wednesday? Do you even care that tomorrow is Wednesday? I want to hear about the good things in your lives! Seriously, even if it's relatively minor or seemingly insignificant. If it made you stop for even a few seconds and think, "oh hey, that's a good thing", then my evil plan worked. I'm gonna' be looking forward to Wednesday for the first time since LOST went on hiatus...Oh LOST, I miss you so much...luscious manlocks, dirty, dimpled Sawyer... wait, what? Sorry, distracted by thoughts of shirtless, wet, snarky Sawyer... wait, what?

Where were we? Oh yeah, please share your small victories, happy thoughts, compliments, successes, or a moment of gratitude. Happy Wednesday!


** It was like 4 months before I figured out that Ted Boynton, The Boozehound and socalledonlycousins was the same person. I'm wicked smaht!

17 comments:

Spender said...

Lainey-lane-lane... glad you're here on the webs. Your blog is a daily check-in for me and almost always brightens the day or gives me something to think about.
Hoping for much needed good news on the employment front tomorrow, so I'm hoping that it's a good Wednesday all the way around.
The Whine Police will be watching, so let's give them NOTHING to do... heheheh.

Jos said...

Man, rough stretch indeed: with neither Lost nor Chuck coming back 'til well into 2010, I'm in bad shape. Thank goodness for So You Think You Can Dance or I'd really be hurting!

I like the idea of No-Whine Wednesdays--have to work on that with co-workers. :)

Big Daddy said...

I've got nothing to complain about today - my family is healthy, my wife and I have jobs, and the sun is shining. Count me in for No Whining Wednesday!

BarbadoSlim said...

An opening note:

Yeah, I haven't read anything here yet but I'm pretty sure it's overrated and it sucks, Bobaney. Fortunately, I'm here to point it out.

Figgy said...

Oh I love this.

My thing: mom comes back from her trip today. I might be going to the US in 9 days, and I found a cheapish ticket. Looking forward to buying it today!

onthevirg said...

Lainey,

Thanks for the shout out, I really appreciate it. And for any of you other regular commenters, help a brother out. Seriously, every 5 spot will help. /begging off

And I'll have you know I'm putting up some more embarrassing stuff today!

Doran said...

Everybody's healthy (except me) and I've got a daughter who's going to come screaming into this world in about a week. You have until then to decide whether you wish to bow to her majesty or be crushed under her tiny fist of doom.

ShinyKate said...

Everyone's healthy, my sweetheart and I both have jobs, and my fantabulous co-worker agreed to lend me her BSG season 1 DVDs so I can show Jeff one of my all time favorite TV shows. And hopefully get him addicted, too.

x said...

Ummmmm...At the moment I'm employed, and I have off the next 4 days. So that's something.

RR Kovar said...

My husband and I both have jobs with good benefits. My kids are healthy and reasonably civilized. In ten days, we're going to the family farm for a week of harvesting grapes, hanging out, eating too much and drinking wine suggested (and provided) by my dad, and making the biggest damn bubbles you've ever seen. Life is pretty spiffy.

DeistBrawler said...

I started my blog much for the same reason. I used to write...a lot...and after my last relationship I lost the muse. I still haven't found it yet, but after a friend of mine got me on Pajiba I've started the blog, and it's getting my foot back in the door to write again.

As for "lagniappe" that word brought my blood to a boil. Working in a restaurant we sometimes get that lagniappe call where a customer wants to try something but just a sample. This always happens in the middle of a rush. Thanks assholes.

I gave you both...does that count?

Lainey said...

Oh holy crap, you guys! You're so wonderful!

Spender - Thank you, sir. Good luck on the employment front. Did you hear anything?

Jos - Hiiii! Thanks for coming by! As much as I want LOST to come back, I like having it to look forward to & will be SO sad when it's over. I need to find a new show to be obsessed with.

Big Daddy - Right ON! Thanks for participating in my made-up holiday.

BarbadoSlim *swoon* You always say the sweetest things!

Figgy - Dude! You're having the best day ever. Congrats!

Virg - I'm ridiculously happy to see a new post from you! I will be there shortly to see how you've embarrassed yourself this time. M must have the patience of Job ... not to be confused with GOB.

Doran - I'm sorry you're still feeling less than shiny. I'm really excited to greet the new Queen of Canadia!

ShinyKate - Your name makes me happy! I hope you and your sweetheart enjoy it.

Whorish Mouth - Oooh, enjoy your long weekend! Jealous.

Reba - Hi, hi, hi!! Making big bubbles? I have NO idea what that means, but I'm super intrigued by it and the fact that you used "spiffy" makes me adore you!

Deistbrawler - Are you in NOLA? I've never heard "lagniappe" used outside of there. Cool! I'm glad you're working on getting your writing mojo back. Good luck!

meaux said...

I spent my entire workday reading in my car today. Will likely be more of the same tomorrow. Sure, I have to keep an eye on the construction site and make some notes, but (unless the weather dries up and I have to do slightly more time-consuming air monitoring stuff) most of my time will be blissfully idle. Beats an office day, where I actually have to try to be productive! (Ironically, my coworker whines when he's sent out to do this kind of work for too long.)

MelBivDevoe said...

This is a great idea, Lainey!

I'm grateful that I'm finally getting hours at work, and can breathe a little easier (for now, at least). And I'm grateful that stumbling across Pajiba 2 years ago has led me to meet all these amazing people. You all brighten my day so much!

Girl With Curious Hair said...

I just got an email from one of my team mates who is going through chemo. We trained for weeks and he didn't tell anyone it was coming up. Sadly, it is physically difficult but he says he is very upbeat and excited thanks to everyone's emails and calls.

Somehow, this made my day.

MelodyLane said...

I got a newish phone that will be fabulous once I get it set up.

I forgot to add this yesterday.

Lainey said...

meaux - I have no idea what your job is, but dude, you may have the best freakin' job in the history of EVER!

MelBivDevoe - First, I don't know if I've ever told you, but your screen name makes me giggle every time I see it. I love it! I'm so happy I stumbled on Pajiba, too. I can't remember what the hell I did all day before finding it. I *know* I didn't do work all day!

Girl - I'm not sure how to respond. I'm sorry your friend is going through a rough time & has to endure this, but I'm glad that he's so upbeat about it!

MelodyLane - I'm jealous of your new phone! I want to get an iPhone or a Crackberry, but I don't trust myself. I *know* I'd be that chick you see on the news who walked into traffic because I was too distracted by the damn phone. Enjoy it and BE CAREFUL!