Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Wednesday, You Wily Wascal!

I took a vacation day on Monday, so my week is all jacked up. It's Wednesday already? Wow!

One of the side effects of this No Whining Wednesday EXTRAVAGANZA is that it makes me truly appreciative of the little things in my life. All of the things I take for granted; reliable car, friends I can count on, a good paying job, multiple lip balm options, etc. tend to get lost in the day-to-day grind of life. But equally important, it has also illustrated the incredible generosity of spirit in others. I'd really like to highlight those of you who are giving back and doing good things. You guys are my inspirations and when I'm feeling sorry for myself or am too lazy to take the trash out (it's THREE flights of stairs, ok??? Get off my back!), I think about you and the selfless & generous things you're doing and I feel like a lazy, whiny asshole. So, *obviously* I try not to think of you guys too much...

OnTheVirg is currently participating in a SEVEN HUNDRED mile bike ride to raise money and awareness for Hemophilia. SEVEN HUNDRED MILES. On a bike. I've mentioned this before and I mention it again, because, a) It's 700 freakin' miles! b) On a bike! Nice work, Virg. You're seriously impressive and I wish you lots of luck and I hope your ass doesn't become permanently numb.

Speaking of bike riding - The Falldownasaurus (™ Nicole), TK will be doing a charity bike ride to support lung cancer research and awareness in October. Provided he doesn't break a leg (or arm or front tooth or hip or um, really anything...) before then, I salute him! As a former pack-a-day smoker, I worry about my lungs and whether I've doomed myself to a future of emphysema or lung cancer. I'm thankful that people like TK are raising money to fight and prevent such an ugly disease. If you'd like to support him and donate, please click here. Good luck, TK. You're a good man.

Another cancer warrior is the kind and adorable Girl with Curious Hair. Such a funny and sweet girl, she's out there kicking Lymphoma's and Leukemia's ASSES! She's running with Team in Training to raise money to get rid of that fucking asshole Leukemia and she's doing it in memory of Alabama Pink. You can read her own lovely words here and if you are able to, you can donate here. Good luck, Girl and keep us updated on your training.

I've come across a new blog, via Twitter, that just excites me and makes me happy to know that there are such wonderful, caring and motivated people out there. It's called "It Starts with Us" (it's on my blogroll as Change the World!) and it's all about individuals doing small things (15 minutes a week) to affect the lives of others. This is the post that hooked me and now I look forward to the weekly projects and announcements. Check it out if you have a few minutes. You may find that you have a smile plastered to your face when you're finished.

So, now I want to hear (hear/read, whatever) about who or what inspires you. Who do you admire? What or who makes you smile? Feel free to pimp your pet project in the comments or to post links to your favorite charity or a story that had a positive influence on you.

Happy Wednesday!

8 comments:

Girl With Curious Hair said...

Thank you so much for the mention. Since I kept procrastinating on the first bike fund raiser, I'll definitely donate to TK this week.

This week, I'm grateful for Nicole and her awesomeness.

Eyvi Sprite said...

Wow! Your blog is full of awesome selfless people today! I can't think of anyone IRL who's doing anything for someone else, so I'm going to steal one of yours. I recently started following GWCH and her latest post was beautiful! And the story around how she began this training is also beautiful!

I do have someone IRL who is doing something for herself that is awesome: my Mom (I know, I know, lay off) has recently jumped a very difficult hurdle in her life. Inspired by her own strength, she went back to school. At 50 years old, she has just graduated from college. Cool, huh?

Lainey said...

Girl - You're welcome! Thank YOU for being awesome!

Eyvi - Isn't that Girl wonderful? And I think that's so cool that your mom went back to school and graduated. That's impressive as hell!

x said...

Hmmm...I have a Breast Cancer Walk coming up in October. :) I'm anything that threatens our beautiful breast-is-iz. Yay boobs!

x said...

What I meant to say was I'm UP FOR anything...
Stupid laptop mousy thingie.

x said...

Ack! I mean I'm up for FIGHTING anything...
I fail. That's what I get for posting on a FRIDAY.

Nicole said...

Hee, Lainey, it's Falldownasaurus.

I'm grateful for Girl for being an inspiration and amazing friend, and for loving me. Also grateful for our Esteemed Hostess, who came up with this wonderful idea. Lastly, thankful and blessed with friends who love me and are keeping tabs on me. I'm a very lucky girl.

Lainey said...

Whorish Mouth - Your corrections cracked my ass up! And keep me updated about your walk - especially if you're looking for donations.

Nicole - Oops, corrected. Thanks for playing! And you are a loved girl!