Monday, June 8, 2009

Scrantonicity

After interviewing every skinny, blonde, 22-year-old girl named Courtney/Lindsay/Casey/Bailey/Kelsy/etc., we have a new recruiter. YAY!!!

We hired a skinny, brunette 22-year-old with a name ending in "Y"!

In actuality, we only interviewed 13 people (plus another 5 or 6 on the phone) and the girl we hired was number 13. From here on out, I will refer to her as "Thirteen". Couple reasons for this.

First - I can't remember her damn name! Seriously, after the parade of perky "Y's", all of them blend together in my head and I keep referring to her by the wrong name.

Second - I used a fake name for Jackie, so it's only fair that I give her a pseudonym, too.

Third - She looks kind of like Olivia Wilde who plays, "Thirteen" on House. Yes, she's 22, smart, thin and beautiful. No, I don't hate her yet.

She was one of several qualified candidates. Everyone we talked to was smart and engaging and had some or most of the skills we were looking for. It was hard to narrow it down. None of them really won us over immediately like Jackie did and my boss and I were becoming discouraged. And then Thirteen came in for her interview.

She was, honestly, no better or worse than any of the others we had talked to. However, she commented on "The Office" calendar hanging on my bulletin board. She asked if I was a fan and I said that my boss and I love it. She smiled and said she liked it, too. We finished the interview and at the end she asked if I would like her LinkedIn address. I said, sure. She pulled a notepad out of her purse & wrote the address on it. Imprinted across the top of the note was:

That's what *she* said.

And that's how Thirteen became the new Jackie.

5 comments:

Girl With Curious Hair said...

You manage to combine The Office and House with a happy hiring outcome in one post? Congratulations. I'm glad your search is over.

Anna von Beaverplatz said...

Hooray! You have your very own Thirteen! In the form of NewJackie. *phew* Hopefully, she works out very well and doesn't annoy you.

Lainey said...

Thanks, ladies! I think she's going to be a good edition. She's very young...like young, so she's going to require a lot of hand holding for a few months and I'm going to need to adjust my expectations and impatience. We'll see just how long I can keep my mouth shut and be supportive & helpful as opposed to being surly and um, well, me.

I'm betting I'll make it until next Wednesday...

Sarah said...

Haha, good! She sounds like an awesome lady. My favorite coworker got fired the other week and it still sucks :(

Lainey said...

Sarah, she's pretty cool. Still getting used to each other. She did confess to loving "Twilight" and being obsessed with Edward Cullen, which, I'm not gonna' lie, disappoints me tremendously, but she's young. Sorry your favorite co-worker got the boot! That sucks so hard when you don't have a good work buddy.